Associate Pastor | Calvary Baptist Church | Washington, DC
Calvary Baptist Church seeks a full-time Associate Pastor focusing on 1) Calvary’s commitment to racial and social justice, 2) spiritual formation for our intergenerational community, with particular attention to our young adults, youth, and children, and 3) partnering with the Senior Pastors, Board, and congregation as they manage Calvary’s overall infrastructure and sustainability. Calvary is a multi-racial, multi-ethnic community of Christ followers committed to the sacred work of anti-racism, social justice, and radical inclusion. The ideal candidate will have experience in relevant pastoral roles, as well as strong administrative skills. As a small community of faith with a large building footprint, we are seeking someone who is willing to imagine their role broadly and imaginatively alongside a strong co-pastor team that prioritizes the health and well-being of your vocational and personal life. While this position contains three categories of work, this division of labor is not meant to be three jobs at once, but a true expression of the way our intergenerational and multi-faceted congregation works. Salary range: $60,000-65,000, with benefits.
- Racial and Social Justice
- Help develop seasonally appropriate liturgical experiences that focus particular attention on the richness of the Black church tradition, as well as other faith practices and traditions rooted in global resistance movements and diasporic identity, offering intentional and authentic points of access for our members and visitors of color.
- Work with the Senior Pastors in planning and leading weekly worship by attending weekly staff meetings and carrying out agreed upon tasks
- Preach every 4-6 weeks as part of the preaching rotation and as needed
- Rotate with Senior Pastors providing leadership in different types of services/worship activities
- Spiritual Formation
- Coordinate the spiritual formation of Calvary’s intergenerational community, with particular attention to children and youth.
- Offer particular support for youth and young adults of color as well as youth and young adults with immigrant/diasporic experiences and identities.
- Work with the Coordinator for Children and Youth programming to ensure sound theological and formational opportunities are available across age groups
- Coordinate and lead small groups – including ones specifically for young adults. These could include short-term, long-term, virtual, or in-person activities.
- With a building footprint of 50,000 sq/feet, Calvary requires multiple levels of administration, management and care, especially as it pertains to the ongoing health of its building and finances. Work closely with our Senior Pastors on all efforts to maintain and care for Calvary’s financial picture, tenant relationships, and long-term financial sustainability.
- Other duties as necessary.
Please submit cover letter, resume, (and if available, a sermon sample) by Monday, April 25 to the ministerial selection committee: firstname.lastname@example.org