Interim Music Director and Coordinator
Calvary Baptist Church
Part-Time, 10-15 hours/week
Since 1862, Calvary Baptist Church has been a congregation committed to living out the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the heart of Washington, DC. Calvary has a long history as well as exciting mission, outreach and partnership programs in our community. Calvary is an ecumenical, multi-racial, multi-ethnic Christian body that reaches out to the world with the Good News of Jesus Christ. To that end we strive to be welcoming, responsive, trusting and prayerful in everything we do.
Our weekly worship service brings a diverse community together for a unique celebration, and music is an important part of Calvary’s worship. Our worship service is liturgical in style and includes both organ and piano music. Our hymnal is the Chalice Hymnal which utilizes inclusive language. With a significant number of Spanish-speaking members composing a vibrant part of our congregation, we strive for our worship experience to be bilingual, both in word and song. Furthermore, though Calvary is not a historically black church, our diverse membership makes us uniquely positioned to continuing crafting worship experiences that cherish the liturgical practices of the black church tradition. As a result, this position calls for someone who is interested in and passionate about an intentionally diverse worship experience rooted in the language and practices of progressive Christian theology. Worship attendance each Sunday is generally 100-125 people.
We are seeking a part-time professional music coordinator, choir director, pianist (and organist) to work collaboratively with our pastoral staff, staff singers and volunteers in our music program. We have one weekly worship service at 11am on Sunday mornings. The Music Director and Coordinator is responsible for developing and leading an inclusive, cohesive music program that enhances our worship each week.
– Keyboard skills essential; organ skills a plus
– Experienced choral director
– Strong musical and worship skills
– Strong organizational skills and planning capabilities
– Ability to actively engage the congregation during worship to enhance the participatory worship experience
– Spanish language skills not required but a plus
– Assist the pastoral staff in planning Sunday morning worship; work with the staff to plan and execute special worship experiences such as Holy Week, Christmas, etc.
– Provide piano and/or organ accompaniment and leadership for the weekly Sunday morning worship service, Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and up to three other special services as needed
– Coordinate a cohesive music program that supports the values and mission of the congregation and enhances the worship experience
– Organize and lead weekly choir rehearsal on Sunday mornings including four paid professional staff singers
– Select and lead music from a variety of styles and genres (hymns, high-church choral music, black church music, and Spanish songs and hymns)
– Lead staff singers in coordinating children’s music programs
– Arrange substitute musicians for any worship services for which s/he will not be present
– Coordinate maintenance and tuning of church’s pianos and organ; maintain music library
– Advise and contribute with the Music and Arts committee as needed
– Recognizes the role of music in spiritual formation and appreciates the spiritual dimensions of creating music for worship
– Provides leadership for worship services in a way that enhances the movement of worship, including assisting with transitions during different elements of the service
– Demonstrates passion for nurturing the musical gifts of others and fostering a spirit of inclusion
– Brings a collaborative, flexible spirit and relational approach to engaging pastors and volunteers in planning, rehearsing and sharing music for worship
– Contributes to positive and effective staff team dynamics and fosters collegiality
– Consistently completes duties and responsibilities in a timely way
– Effectively problem-solves and completes other assignments within the scope of this role
Hours and Compensation
Competitive Salary. The responsibilities of the Music Director and Coordinator are based on an average of 10-15 hours/week. Opportunities to play for weddings and funerals for additional, negotiable fee.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants please submit resume along with three references to:
Calvary Baptist Church
Attn: Music Director and Coordinator Search
755 Eighth Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
Or email materials to MusicDirector@calvarydc.org
Subject line: Music Director and Coordinator